Majority of the population seem to think that demolitions are as simple as taking a hammer to the wall and throwing a wrecking ball around, but accidents and mistakes can happen when measures aren’t followed properly, and you might wonder whether there is more to the life of a demolition contractor than knocking down buildings.
Just to be clear, Wrecking balls are not a common method of demolition anymore as they are hard to control and not as efficient.
It takes a lot of expert knowledge to be a demolition contractor and also high tolerance to sound such as crushing concrete, banging and crashing.
A Typical Demolition Project Timeline:
- Best1 Demolition picks up demolition projects.
- Plan and schedule a demolition site during the visit.
- Designate contractors for each part of the demolition project.
- Complete paperwork including method statements, risk assessments, health and safety plan, environmental risk assessment, fire plan and site waste management plan.
- Apply for licenses such as scaffolding, road closures, use of cranes, local council and developer forms, anything that may be required.
- Monitor impact on environment and emissions.
- Monitor any impact on the health and safety of staff and anyone else around.
- Communicate with residents or anyone nearby that would be affected by the demolition, ensuring they know the timeframe that they may be affected by noise, dust, vibrations and vehicle movements.
- Inspect safety gear, machinery and equipment
- Conduct asbestos assessment and complete safe asbestos removal on site if required.
- Pre demolition process such as ensuring electricity, water and gas has been turned off before any work starts.
- Arrive on site and start the demolition process job, set up site necessities such as portaloo.
- Soft strip the buildings and ensure that everything that can be recycled or salvaged is, (such as door knobs, glass, handles, cabinetry, air conditioning etc) leaving only the structure behind.
- Carry out demolition plans.
- Recover any material remaining and clean the site extensively.
- Complete post-assessments and finalise the project.
Demolition Projects may be more complicated than the above, however that is an idea of a basic demolition process and how Best1 Demolition Sydney works.
If you have a project coming up that is in need of demolition contractors in Sydney contact the team at Best1 Demolition today.